Watch the full video (above) of the launch of ‘A Just Jobs Index for India: How do Indian States Fare in the Creation of Just Jobs?’ by CPR and JustJobs Network (JJN).
India’s ailing labour market threatens the fragile optimism that underpins the nation’s aspirations. Urgent action is required to create a more job-rich economy that harnesses the productive potential of India's population and raises living standards for all.
To further this critical policy imperative, JJN, with support from the Azim Premji University, has developed a JustJobs Index (JJI) – a comprehensive, data-driven tool to measure the quantity and quality of jobs – at the state level in India. This index, the first of its kind to measure both the quantity and quality of jobs, broadens the discourse on employment beyond the incomplete metric of unemployment. The report analyses the factors driving state-level rankings.
Panellists at the launch included:
- Amitabh Kant, Chief Executive Officer, NITI Aayog
- Dilip Chenoy, Secretary General, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI)
- Partha Mukhopadhyay, Senior Fellow, CPR
- Anurag Behar, Vice Chancellor, Azim Premji University and CEO, Azim Premji Foundation
- Sabina Dewan, President and Executive Director, JustJobs Network and Senior Visiting Fellow, CPR
The Index and the report can be accessed here.